Choral music from Latvia,
Lithuania and Estonia -
'... such clarity ...'
Ely Cathedral was built by the Normans before 1090, but the story here begins in 1321 when the cathedral's tower collapsed.
By 1342 eight seventy feet high oak trees had been hauled up and fixed on top of the new tower. Eight huge windows between the oak uprights let light into the cathedral naves far below. Nothing like it had ever been seen before, and, indeed, never afterwards.
Seven centuries later, together with their conductor, Stephen Layton, the visiting Choir of Trinity College, Cambridge, had gone to Ely Cathedral to sing six choral works recently written by four individual composers...
Copyright © 9 June 2010
CD INFORMATION: BALTIC EXCHANGE